Monday, March 16, 2009

We are his legacy. This is his legend. Light up the darkness.

I'm back! And hello to my new friends, I hope my boring life (to me, that is) gives you something to do for a few minutes out of your day, or even helps you with your English! 

Sunday started out as a pretty lazy day, if I do say so myself. I woke up around noon to a text from my friend Pat, telling me he was back in town, and we decided to go eat after I showered and he did some cleaning. So I got in my Grand Am (The Red Car of Fury, or, Fury, as he shall henceforth be known) and picked Pat up at his apartment. It was beautiful outside. The sun was shining, and even my sickness wasn't gonna dampen my mood. We drove to Chipotle cause Pat wanted to have a beer with his food, and made our way inside.

The store was pretty busy, but that was to be expected given the nice weather. I ended up getting the usual: a vegetarian  burrito (rice, black beans, chili corn salsa, small bit of sour cream, lettuce, and guacamole - a VERY delicious combination I suggest to all), which ended up being really good. Pat told me about his trip home, and told me about the movie Watchmen. We finished up and decided to go across the street to The Exchange - a video game, music and movie trade-in store, cause Pat wanted to spend some birthday money on movies he didn't get. He ended up buying 2 movies and a game, while I spent 7 dollars on the movie "Mallrats" (the last movie from Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse that I didn't own). After that I needed to finish up my schoolwork, so I dropped Pat off at his place, parked Fury, and headed back to my dorm.

I got about 3/4ths of the way through Mallrats, finished my accounting problems, and had just started my accounting quiz when suddenly there came a tapping, as if someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. It turned out to be Matt and David who decided they were going to kidnap me and Tony and we were all gonna eat at their place after a short band practice. I had until midnight to submit my accounting quiz, so I put on my shoes, grabbed a few Halls cough drops and left with them to get Tony. We stopped at Acme (a local grocery store) and picked up some bratwurst and buns and got to the apartment. 

Matt started baking some potatoes, and we all talked for a while, having a good time. We ran through a few of the songs and talked about changes that we wanted to make, then finally started eating. We each had a baked potato, there were enough for about 3 bratwurst apiece, with 2 leftover for Matt's room mate Kevin (who was at work), and salad which I took home with me. We took a few 'band pictures' that we needed to do for a long time now, and then David took Tony and I back to our dorms. 

After that I took my accounting quiz (95%, Hooray!), finished Mallrats, took a shower and got into bed.

Monday I woke up at about 6 am with the worst headache and sore throat imaginable. While half asleep and in the dark I managed to take a couple Tylenol and made myself a cup of hot Chamomile Lemon tea (also delicious and a good throat soother), which I drank about half of before falling back asleep. I woke up feeling just as bad at 10:30, rinsed off my night sweat (the only time I really sweat at night is when i'm sick. It's gross. I cannot wait till I'm better.), got dressed and rushed off to my Professional Writing class. 

I still felt bad, so I put my head down when I got there and everyone started talking to me all at once (of course! On a day I don't feel good, and right after I've woken up!). Justin (my partner on our first project) started talking to me about how I was in the paper the week before, The Professor asked if our class time was disturbing my nap time, and Neil (my second projects partner) asked if I had been up all night. So I had to tell the story of my month-long reoccurring sickness, and then they all backed off. We got together with our current partners and started 'workshopping.' Norman and I started working on our Business Memo for our project, and the Professor handed back our last assignments (a resume with video handshake), which I got a 23.5/30 on, which is a high C, and gives me a 79.8 in the class. A little lower than I want right now, but if I can end the year with a B average i'd be more than happy. 

After class my dad called, saying he could be in the area after my last class if I wanted to go pick up some 'sick stuff,' as he called it, from Walmart. I agreed, and said that my class wasn't until 4:25, and if he wanted to get it out of the way earlier (and was able to make the time), that we could do it before class so he wasn't sitting around waiting for me all day. He said he'd call me back and let me know what he came up with. He called me back around 1, saying he would be waiting in the Walmart parking lot at 2 o'clock, and that I should look for the big black truck.

I got back to my room and checked my blog and facebook, where I learned that I got my room mate sick (sorry Jason!) and that we were scheduled to play in the battle of the bands in a few weeks. I tried to take a nap, but ended up watching Animal Planet for a little bit. 

My dad and I met up and did some shopping at Wally World. I got some Dayquil, Excedrin, and a bunch of food supplies, and exchanged stories we'd obtained in our everyday lives, he gave me a few bucks and we departed, him needing to go to the yard to drop off his trailer and some keys, and I had to get to Physics. I unloaded my food, went to class and met Pat afterwards to study for our music class. 

We studied for over an hour on the 7th floor of the library, and it was productive, I got all the terms outlined, and I just have to do the composers now. But when we were almost done, a girl at the next table over was packing up and was looking out the window for a minute and then got our attention, telling us that if we were into that sorta thing, there was a beautiful sunset happening that we shouldn't miss. (it seemed like she didn't WANT to say anything to us, but, I dunno, did at the same time. It felt awkward. I mean. Who tells a random person to look at a sunset? I dunno.) So we did. and It WAS beautiful. I tried taking pictures of it with my Macbook, but there was a glare (due to no polarization, Oh ho ho, Physics class.) and it came out dirty. 





At least I made an attempt though! It was really pretty. Here's a couple other pictures I snapped. The first is of the library aisle that was behind me, It's like it goes on forever. The second is of Pat and I, Pat's the goof holding his butt, and I'm entering from stage right. 





After that Pat went to work out, and I grabbed some chicken at Sunset Strips (a food vendor in the Student Center) and walked back to my room where I ate, watched "I Am Legend," and continued to study for my music test, until I felt it was time to blog something up. 

I'm going to try and include more pictures in my blogs, just because I love looking at pictures, and I think we all secretly wish we were awesome photographers. 

But I should probably get back to studying, so I leave you all with well wishes, fondest thoughts, and hope you have a good night!

4 comments:

~Sheila~ said...

Alright!
First. I was trying not to crack up with the last line of the first sentence.
"...or even helps you with your English!"
That was funny.

WOW. You have a lot on your plate as well as trying to recover from being sick.

I like to drink a lot of orange juice. It seems to help with me.

Rest up. Looking forward to reading more!!

Dendy Darin said...

Welcome back, Matt!
Excedrin, what is that? A kind of medicine?
Btw, your story inspired me and as Sheila said: Looking forward to reading more!

Happy study and wish u luck!

Louis said...

congratz on your accounting, 95%... you must be one of the guys who make the rest of us feel... well... stupid.

The Teenage Years said...

I think that it is hard work starting a band,because I have been working on starting a band I have only found a guitarist and well me.
I am a singer and a lyricist
its hard to write songs and come up with a steady beat to it without actually playing it
Btw thanks for stopping by