Friday, March 13, 2009

To the moon, Alice.

Hello World, my name's Matt and we're gonna try this again here.

I've been trying to get 'into' blogging for a few years now, but every time I try I end up getting turned off by it and forgetting all about it. It's not like I've got a lot to say, it's just that I think about a lot of things throughout the day and do nothing with them, except let them stew in the madness that is my thoughts. I plan on using this as a way to flesh out those thoughts. Those observations. Dreams. Aspirations. Failures. Let's see where we go, shall we?

This semester has been hectic so far. I'm doing a much better job of managing my time around classes, band practices, Matt practices, and hanging out with the guys, but I'm still falling behind. So i'll give you a little background info.

I'm a junior Accounting Major at Kent State University. This semester I'm taking Business and Professional Writing, Physics in Entertainments and the Arts, A Physics in Entertainment and the Arts lab, Managerial Accounting (yet again.), America's Music, and Operations Management. Lemmie break 'em down real quick.

Business and Professional Writing - Exactly the opposite of what I'm doing now in this post. This class has been my biggest challenge as it's the complete opposite from how I normally write. I love including details. I love being able to back up my reasoning. The way 'business professionals' write is clear, concise, 'empathetic', and to the point; so the challenge in this class is trying to maintain my individuality. 

Physics in E and the A - This class is sweet. It's all about how light and sound function in real life. I've gotten a B and a C on the two tests respectively. We're gonna go over our tests today, so the C might improve somewhat. Cross your fingers!

Physics lab - There's a cute girl in the class. That's about the only good part of it. I'll get an A if I just do my own work and don't pick the answers my partners choose. Every time I've done a lab by myself I've gotten 100%, every time they help I get like, an 80% or a 75%. 

Managerial Accounting - The first semester I took this class I got a D. Being retarded I quit going to class thinking the attendance points wouldn't hurt me too bad. Then they killed me. Stupidest move ever. So I took it again with Dave and Bill last semester and attendance wasn't mandatory, and I missed getting an A by a few points, but I passed so I was ecstatic. Then when scheduling for this year, my advisor informed me that my average for Financial and Managerial accounting was at 2.466. You need a 2.5 to continue on, and apparently no one rounds in the real world, so she told me to retake either Financial or Managerial again and all I'd have to do is get a B minimum to advance. I'm running a 92% right now. I plan on keeping it up there. 

America's Music - This is like, the 6th music class I've taken here (I should just minor in music education), and it's enjoyable. We've learned about music in America from the Native Americans up to The Big Band era so far. We had a test last month and I ended up setting the curve on it. We've got another next Thursday so I need to start studying now. 

Operations Management - Ughhhhhghhh. Bleh. This class is horrible. 3 hours on a Wednesday night and he doesn't even teach us anything. It's all about running a business, and I still don't know how to operate one. We have our first test this Wednesday and it's going to be a disaster I think. It's 10 Definitions (easy), 6 Essays (not easy), and we choose 2 out of 4 Computational Problems (CAN be easy since he gave us the problems without numbers). We get a full page (front and back) cheat sheet, which is going to be extremely helpful, but I still need to study hard for this test. 

So for the most part this year I've been on top of everything, but I need to keep buckled down.

From a musical perspective: I'm still playing with Matt and PTN. Matt's friend Dave moved back down here and is back at Kent. Dave's an awesome guy. He's the lead singer of the Lakewood band "Prime Addiction." We also listen to most of the same music. Well. Rock and metal-wise. I still listen to rap, country, jazz, generic rock, all that stuff, but it's nice to talk with someone here with similar musical tastes. We were supposed to play a paying gig at the Rathskellar a few weeks ago, but I ended up having to go to Cleveland. My best friend's dad was in the hospital, which was way more important that some show. I guess the show didn't go so well, but we'll make up for it. Dave has been talking him and I starting a metal band; which I'm all for. But he wants to do it next semester. That's fine, it's just that I'd like to start writing now. But this gives me time to come up with some stuff. 

I don't know what's going on with I, The Arsonist back home. I'm sure Will would still play rhythm guitar, and I'd be fine playing lead, but I don't know if Mark is still into it, or what Beaumont's doing since he was playing with his buddies at Slippery Rock. I talked to Will about him playing drums if I can work some sorta practice/group out with Dave Riley, and have Dave and I on guitar, Will on drums, and possibly Mark on bass if it DOES work out. It may just be ITA but reformed. I don't know. I don't really care either if something can come out of it. 

Also, I don't know if I'm going home this summer. Yeah, I can probably get back in Giant Eagle, but, I may end up staying down here, living in an apartment, taking summer classes, and working at night. Unfortunately for my social life and friends  back home, I think that's probably what's going to end up happening. At this point, I'm pretty willing to shack up with whoever. I'd still like to live with Pat and Dave and Chris and Stu and Will, but, I doubt that'd all work. At one point Will expressed interest in coming back to school and moving down here, and that'd be awesome. Corey, my old room mate also asked me about getting a place. Dave and Pat talked about it. Stu was talking about being an RA, but that was awhile ago. Even Mel said something about getting a job down here and being room mates. Matt talked about me moving in with him, Kevin and Dave. If Dallas comes back I wouldn't mind living with him. If Jason wants to move off campus, I wouldn't mind living with him. 

Like I said, I'm open to whatever. At this point, all I want to do is graduate with good grades and work. Yeah, my relationships with my friends aren't as close as they were. In fact, they're probably the 'worst' they've been since I've met everyone, as I'm never around here or back home, but, I've gotten into the mind-state that I finally need to do something for myself. My whole life I've been trying to prove myself to everyone. My parents, my brother, my friends, my teachers, my bosses. It's gotten to the point where I WANT to do this for ME. If everyone cares for me like they always say they do, I hope they understand that. But it's time I focused on something. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. As cool as it would be, I doubt music will ever pan out to be anything monetary for me. There're way too many good musicians out there now, and a bunch of them probably have more drive to be successful than I. I won't rule it out as a possibility, but, I'm not banking on it. School's my number 1 here. 

I'm gonna go cook up some turkey filets and gather my thoughts, take a nap, and head off to physics. If I can get any thoughts of substance I may fire up another blog, but, until then, Ciao!

1 comment:

~Sheila~ said...

Hello Matthew. I came over from Nick's page.

That sounds like a lot of classes. I wish you the best and hopefully you will continue to write!