Sunday, March 15, 2009

Running as fast as they can, Iron Man lives again.

Two updates! I'm on a roll!

Let's see now. Technically it's Sunday so that means I have a day and a half to update you on.

Friday we didn't go over our physics tests, but we received extra credit since there were only a handful of people in our class of 200+, So that'll help my grade somewhat. After class I bummed around for about an hour until Matt called and told me to head over to his apartment so we could practice and eat before our show. Tony called me around 6 and said he'd meet me at my dorm in a few minutes, so I got my car and drove around. I drug the bass amp out of my room and we hauled it into my backseat. That thing is incredibly annoying for one person to move around, so I think I'm gonna rig some wheels on it. We got to Matt's and met a Japanese girl he knows (I apologize, her name started with a K but it slips my mind) and we practiced a little, came up with our setlist, and ate some homemade tacos. Tony and I had a couple Highlife's apiece, and at about 8:30 we decided to start loading our stuff up. So we drug the four guitars, two amps, and bongos out to our cars, Matt dropped K off at her dorm and met Tony and I at my dorm, where we went and picked up my half stack, which we then loaded into the cars and drove over to the Rathskeller's loading docks. 

Matt didn't know which door was the one we went to, so we went in the traditional way, talked with security and Kevin - the guy who invited us to play - and wound our way through the 'behind the scenes' area of the Student Center till we got to the loading dock. We loaded all our shit onto a cart and brought it up. The first guy who played thought it was an Open Mic night, so Kevin let him play 3 or 4 songs. He wasn't bad. Ian something. After that was Kevin and the Guy with Glasses from Jazzman's (coffee shop). They were really good, I'd go see them again. Then we played. (Viva La Vida, Introduction, Rest Your Soul, Arthur, Last Kiss, Who Needs Sleep, 99 Red Balloons, Don't Love, Yellow, and Freaks) For the most part it went okay. My electric was out of tune for the solo on "Don't Love" which aggravated me since I re-tuned all the guitars BUT the electric cause I thought it'd be fine with strings locked down. But I forgot two things: 1) It was sitting out in the cold for awhile, which doesn't help the neck or the strings, and 2) Stupid me had it in Drop C (CGCFAD), and I retuned it to Standard (EBGDAE) for the show, and didn't take into account the fact that the strings were going to attempt to slip back down to C until they had the 'standard feel' again. Which is exactly what happened.I think my guitar dropped the tuning of all the strings by about half a step, which meant I wasn't playing the right notes. Rookie mistake. This will not happen again. 

After the show we dropped the stuff off in my room and Tony and I went to Sheetz and picked up some more Highlife and drank in his dorm for awhile. We found out at about 3am that Rosies delivers pizza now, which is awesome, and I finally headed back and went to sleep at like 4. 

I woke up on Saturday at about noon and my body was killing me. I guess hauling giant amps around all night is a chore for me, so I decided to try and sleep it off. I finally woke up at about 4, took a long shower and popped a Tylenol which didn't help, and ate some Honey Nut Cheerios. Saturday was a pretty lame day really. I decided I'd try and beat Infinite Undiscovery, but that didn't happen. I beat the chick under-boss, and continued on till I got to a part where I have to make my way up this castle and I have to fight two big battles on every floor (one regular enemy fight and one big boss fight) and after about the 4th floor I ran out of revives and ended up dying. I was pretty annoyed so I just quit playing. I read a few more chapters of Time of the Twins and finished a game of scrabble online with Dave. Towards the end of the day, my room mate Jason and I decided to go watch the "Midnight Movie" at the KIVA, which was Iron Man. We've both seen it, but it's just nice to get out and go do something sometimes. We got back at about 2:30 and I listened to Black Sabbath's Paranoid cd, as I now I had a taste for it, and now I'm doing this and listening to "Princess Mononoke."

My incredibly bad headache is still sticking with me, and now I've started coughing hard, so maybe i'll knock myself out with Nyquil and hope for the best. 

Other than that, there isn't much new going on. Been thinking a lot more about some story ideas I had: The multiple zombie stories I've been tossing around, my "Boy saves girl" goofy limited series, and then my "Now-a-days Vikings" webcomic series. But I'm just too lazy to get started on them. I'd like to do the zombie story as a movie, the boy saves girl as an actual comic, but as a limited run, and the Viking one as an on=going comic. The only problem is: I don't have the initiative to write, plan, shoot, edit, and make a movie, write a script, or re-learn to draw, so I'm really at a stand still. 

I guess I'm gonna do a little accounting and hope I either pass out or feel better. Ciao.

3 comments:

~Sheila~ said...

Wow. That seemed like a busy night.
I hope you start to feel better.
I didn't know there was so much to deal with when it came to guitars.
My son wants an electric guitar and amp for his birthday that is coming up and I have no one to tell me which ones are the best for the money.
(I'm not trying to buy something expensive cause he's going to be 14 next month).

Either way...hope you feel better soon.

Dendy Darin said...

Ho ho, you rock!

Dendy Darin said...

Sorry for come again..
Would you please, make your letter bigger. Sorry, it just make my eye whining..
Take care!